(PhD Chicago 1960; Dist Prof Emerita) Social
anthropology, modernization, anthropology of work; Bolivia, Mexico
- Llevando el Cargo de Tiempo: Ensayos sobre la etnografia del tiempo en Bolivia, Mexico y los Estados Unidos
- 2006 Practicing Ethnography in a Globalizing World. Walnut Creek, CA: Altamira Press
Selected Recent Publications
- 2009 Preface to Judith Freidenberg, The Jewish Gaucho. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.
- 2009 "The Military Industrial Complex and the Crisis of American Capitalism” in Bjorg Bertelsen and Bruce Kapferer, eds. The Crisis of Power and the Reformation of the State in Globalizing Realities. Bergen, Norway: Berghahn Books.
- 2009 “Modernity, Postmodernity, and the Transformation of Revolution,” Review Article for Latin American Research Review. Vol.44, No. 3: 212-223.
- 2009 "Desarrollo para unirmos: autoomía y coexistecia multicultural enm Chiapas y Guatemala,” Revista Theomai, Estudios sobre Desarrollo y Sociedad, No 19. Buenos Aires: 13-159 Translation of: “Development to Unite Us; Autonomy and Multicultural Coexistence in Chiapas and Guatemala.
- 2008 “Cambios Paradigmaticos y Dialectica de los movimientos socialoes,” Cuadernos de Antropología Social, No 28, pp. 7-28.
- 2007 “Consuming Interest: Water, Rum, and Coco Cola; From Ritual Propitiation to Corporate Appropriation in Mesoamerica.” Cultural Anthropology, Vol. 22, #4:621-39. November 2007.
- 2008 “Development to Unite Us: Autonomy and Multicultural Coexistence in Chiapas and Guatemala," New Proposals: Journal of Marxism and Interdisciplinary Inquiry, Vol. 1, No.1:14-39. (May).
- 2006 “Development Strategies, Exclusion of Women, and Indigenous Alternatives,” pp.97-127 in Max Kirsch, Inclusion and Exclusion in the Global Arena. New York and London: Routledge.
- 2006 "Towards Pluricultural States: Indigenous Movements Challenge Neoliberalism in the Third Millennium." A Review Essay of Four Anthrologies: Rachel Sieder, ed, Multiculturalism in Latin America, 2002 Kay B. Warren and Jean E. Jackson, eds. Indigenous Movements, Self-Representation, and the State in Latin America, and Nancy Grey Postero and Leon Zamosc, eds. The Struggle for Indigenous Rights in Latin America. Enlace, Vol. 1, No. 1.
- 2005 “Postscript,” Special Issue: Autonomy in an Age of Globalization: The Vision of June Nash, Guest Editors: Florence E. Babb and Lynn Stephen. Critique of Anthropology, Volume 25, No. 3: 331-335, September.
- 2005 Foreword, Uprising of Hope: Sharing the Zapatista Journey to Alternative Development, Duncan Earle and Jeanne Simonelli. Walnut Creek and New York: Altamira Press, a Division of Rowman, and Little Publishers.
- 2005 “Women in Between, Globalization and the New Enlightenment”, Signs Vol. 31,3.
- 2005 “The Maya Quest for Pluricultural Autonomy in Mexico and Guatemala,” pp. 121-143 in Duane Champagne, Karen Jo Torjesen, and Susan Steiner, eds. Indigenous People and the Modern State. Walnut Creek, CA: Altamira Press.
- 2004 ”The Integration of Indigenous People in Civil Society,” pp. 43-56 in Barry Morris and Rohan Bastin, edes. Expert Knowledge. New York Oxford: Berghan Books.
- 2004 Prologo, to Maria Esther Hermite, Poder sobrenatural y control social en un pueblo. maya contemporáneo, pp. 7-10. Buenos Aires: Antropofagia.
- 2004 Foreword: Living in a Mayan World, pp. vcii-xii, in Betty B. Faust, E.N.Anderson, and John G. Frazier, editors. Rights, Resources, Culture, and Conservation in the Land of the Maya. Westport, Connecticut: Praeger.
- 2004 “Beyond Resistance and Protest.” Pp. 163-198 in John M.Watanabe and Edward F.Fischer, eds., Pluralizing Ethnography: Comparison and Representation in Maya Culture: Histories and Identities. Santa Fe, AZ: School of American Research Press.
- 2004 “Transnational Civil Society,” pp. 427-447 in David Nugent and Joan Vincent, eds. A Companion to the Anthropology of Politics. NY and London: Blackwell Press.
- 2003 “La politica del espacio: resistencia contra la desterritorialización en Chiapas,” Revista Asturiana de Cultura, Vol. 12, 9-30. Academia de la Lingua Asturiana, Dirección Roberto Gonzalez Quevado.
- 2003 "Forward: Activists, Poets, and Anthropologists in the Frontlines of Research,"in Christine Eber and Christine Kovic, eds. Women of Chiapas: Making History in Times of Struggle and Hope. New York: Routledge University Press, pp. ix-xv
- 2003 "The Integration of Indigeneous People in Civil Society" in Social Analysis, Vol. 47, no. 1:102-09.
- 2003 "The War of the Peace in Chiapas: Indigenous Women's Struggle for Social Justice," in Susan Eva Eckstein and Timothy P. Wickham-Crowley, eds., What Justice? Whose Justice? Fighting for Fairness in Latin America, Berkeley: University of California Press, pp. 285-312.
- 2003 "Mesoamerican Indigenous Women and Religion" in
Latino(a) Research Review, Vol. 5, no. 2-3, pp.77-87.
- 2003 "The Domestication of Military Violence,"Society for Feminist Anthropologists, Anthropology News.
- 2003 "Mexico Turns South for its Future," Society for the Anthropology of North America, Vol. 6, no. 1 (June): 6-10.
- 2003 "Indigenous Development Alternatives," pp. 57-98 in Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems, Vol. 32, no. 1.
- 2003 "A Gendered View on Indigenous Autonomy Movements,” Anthropology News, Vol. 44, No. 8:7.
- 2002 "Postscript: Gender in Place and Culture," in Gender's Place: Feminist Anthropologies of Latin America, Rosario Montoya, Lessie Jo Frazier, and Janise Hurtig, eds. New York and London: Routledge Press.
- 2002 Reprint of "Ethnographic Aspects of the World Capitalist System" in Joan Vincent, ed. The Anthropology of Politics: A Reader in Ethnographic Theory and Critique, London and New York: Blackwell Press.
- 2002 "Globalization and the Cultivation of Peripheral Vision," pp. 5-20 in Anthropology Today, Vol. 17, no. 4 (August).
- 2001 Mayan Visions: The Quest for Autonomy in an Age of Globalization. New York and London: Routledge Press.
- 2001 "Ethnicity, Race, and Gender: Intersection in the Americas, Opportunities for Dialogue and Advancement within the International Human Rights Framework" in Race, Gender, Ethnicity and Human Rights in the Americas: A New Paradigm for Activists, Celina Romany, ed. Washington, D.C.
- 2001 "Resistencia cultural y conciencia de clase en las comunidades mineras de Bolivia" in Poder y Protesta Popular: Movimientos Sociales Latinoamericanos, Susan Eckstein, ed. Mexico DF: Siglo 21.
- 2001 Postscript to Artisans and Cooperatives: Developing Alternative Trade for the Global Economy, B. Lynne Milgrim, ed. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press.
- 2001 “The Integration of Indigenous People in Civil Society,” in Social Analysis: The International Journal of Cultural and Social Practice. Vol. 47, #1 (Spring):102-109.
- 2001 "Indigenous Development Alternatives” Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems 32, l:57-98.
- 2000 "Gender, Ethnicity, and Migration: Teaching Diversity" in Cultural Diversity in the United States, Ida Susser, ed. London and New York: Blackwell Publications.
- 2000 "Gendered Deities and the Survival of Culture," pp. 297-316 in Gender/Bodies, Religion, Sylvia Marcos, ed. Cuernavaca, Mexico: Aler Books.
- 2000 “Globalization and the Cultivation of Peripheral Vision,” Anthropology Today, August 17.4:5-22.